Where can you buy zero waste makeup that is both affordable AND effective?
I’ve been on a search to answer this question since beginning my zero waste journey in 2017. I have spent hundreds of dollars making and testing all types of zero waste beauty/skin products: lip balm, lipstick, blush, mascara, lotion, curly hair care, deodorant, eyeshadow, concealer, and soap! It is my goal to share the results of these products with you on this platform so that you can make an easier transition!
I want to share with you a 2-in-1 zero waste blush and lip tint that actually works! The product is made by a small business on Etsy called Clean-Faced Cosmetics. I am wearing the product in the photo above in shade ‘Red’.
The tint is:
- Made of organic, natural ingredients including shea butter, coconut oil, and vitamin E
- Comes in a refillable tin (If you send the empty tin back to be refilled, the owner gives you a 10% discount for your refill! #yayforsustainability)
- Shipped without plastic and in a biodegradable package
- Lasts for six months (I’ve had mine for longer, but this is the technical shelf life)
- Comes in different shades
- Only $15
Aside from being zero waste and natural, I love this product because it is buildable and can be used as blush, lipstick, and even eyeshadow! Other drug store products have toxic ingredients that can disrupt the endocrine system, can be linked to reproductive issues, and can cause cancer. Plus, most of these products come in plastic packaging which cannot be recycled easily or not at all. If you’re interested in other zero waste swaps, check out my post about how to transition to a zero waste period!
Have you tried any zero waste makeup or beauty products? Let me know in the comments or on Instagram at @anewerkatintown!